Publicans at the Inns in Bosbury



Travelling north to south, there were six inns in Bosbury, of which two are still in business.

The Old Country Inn, Old Country The hamlet of Old Country is in the parish a little north of the village centre. The inn is on the road to Cradley but now a private house.

The landlords over the years were:
1851 – 1891 Kenelm Orgee
1891 – 1892 Mrs. Augusta Orgee
1900 William Parsons
1910 – 1911 William Bishop (owner, Alfred Orgee)
1921 Nrs. E. Vobe
1937 C. Elliott Cridland
1941 Mrs. Ada Lord
1941 F.J.Wilcox
1947 – 1951 J.S.Davies
Closed

The Brook Inn Situated in a cottage on Brook Lane, this is now a private house.

The landlords over the years were:
1881 Charles Hodges
1891 James Matthews
1900 - 1901 James Pugh
1905 William Bettington
uncertain date - David Smith
1911 William Nelson (tenant)
1913 - 1914 Edward Reynolds (tenant) 1921 - 1922 Mrs Harriett Young
1929 - 1937 Arthur Colley
1941 Harry Colley
Closed

The Bell Inn The oldest inn in Bosbury and still in business today.

The landlords over the years were:
1791 – 1793 Samuel Loggen
1849 – 1851 John Baskerville
1851 Henry Allen Baskerville
1852 Nathaniel Webb [pr]
1853 – 1856 John Lewis
1856 Jonas Powell [pr]
1857 – 1861 Henry Rowberry
1861 – 1879 Henry and Sarah Caundell
1881 – 1891 Mrs. Mary Morris
1895 David Jelf
1900 – 1902 John Lewis
1902 Ambrose Preece
1911 – 1913 Ernest and Alice Evans
1921 - 1922 John T. Matthews
1929 Albert Preece Jun.
1934 – 1968 George Edwin and Mrs. Pearman
1970 Robert J. Delahaye
1973 – 1981 R.B.Walker
1981 – 1988 John and Jenny Simon
1994 Barry and Mary Morgan
1994 Maurice and Jason Brookes
Edward and Diane Kerr
2002 Anne Mason
2004 - 2006 Martin Newsome and Lawton Davison
Fiona and John Whittle
Rob Crampton and Alison Archer
2006 - 2009 Robert and Margot Spence
2016 - 2017 David and Lisa Grimes

The New Inn This was a public house called The Bells which existed up to the morning of the 16th June 1870 when it was completely destroyed by a fire which began in the outbuildings at the back and rapidly spread. A new inn was built on the site called, as it happens, the New Inn which has a brick facade with details in decorative brickwork using cream and black bricks around windows and doors. The main entrance has a small portico and feature columns. It ceased to be an inn and was converted into private dwellings in 1922.

The landlords over the years were:
1858 – 1881 John Shaw
1887 John Mutlow (for sale due to his bankrupcy)
1891 James Pugh
1900 – 1901 Walter and Mary A. Vine
1910 – 1911 Francis Edwin Davies (owner, Salt & Co. Burton-on-Trent)
1914 Henry Warner (owner Albion Brewery, London)
1921 J. Hawkins
Closed

The Crown Inn

The landlords over the years were:
1782 Joseph Chadd (newspaper report)
1809 – 1844 Thomas and Mary Alford
1851 Thomas Jones
1867 George Jones
1871 – 1883 James Herbert Brazier
1891 Eliza Brazier
1900 William Hale Hunt
1901 Joseph T. Easthope (Hotel proprietor)
1911 Alfred George Parmee (Hotel proprietor)
1922 Eliza Dyke
1929 - 1941 Frank Rawson
Closed

The Oak Inn, Staplow From humble beginnings as a beer and cider retailer this inn is still in business today.

The landlords over the years were:
1851 – 1859 Richard Harding
1859 - 1863 Hannah Harding
1881 – 1894 William Townsend
1900 – 1902 William Henry Jones
1910 – 1921 Thomas Bishop (owner Lane Bros. and Bastow, Ledbury)
1929 - 1937 William Herbert Bishop
1941 - 1946 James Henry Stephens
1979 J. R. Cooke
1998 Mrs. A. D. Cooke
2003 Denis and Nicky Fisher
2008 - 2016 Hilton Haylett

Sources: Trade Directories, Census, newspapers reports and [pr] = parish registers, all on this website.
Knowledge from individuals.
John C. Eisel and Ron Shoesmith Pubs of Bromyard,Ledbury and East Herefordshire, published by Logaston Press, 2003
More information, particularly on dates when the landlords were there, is needed please.

An interesting report from 1914 on the Bosbury public houses.

March 2016 BSS

 go to previous menu go to front page