[Preamble] [Private Residents] [Commercial Residents]
BOSBURY is a parish and village on the river Leadon in the Southern Division
of the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district and petty sessional division,
rural deanery of Frome south division and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, 4 miles north
from Ledbury, 14 east from Hereford, situated on the river Leadon.
The parish is divided into three townships Bosbury, Upleadon and Catley.
The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the
Transition Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a massive detached tower,
erected in the 13th century, and containing 6 bells: a clock was presented by the Rev. John
Edmund Cheese, late vicar, in 1878: the chancel is separated from the nave by a
fine oak screen; the restoration of the chancel and repewing of the nave was completed in 1878,
at a cost of £3,000, under the superintendence of Ewan Christian esq. architect, Whitehall place,
London: there are some ancient monuments to the Harford family, and a finely carved pulpit.
The register dates from the year 1558.
The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £400, gross yearly value £418,
including 6 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford,
and held since 1879 by the Rev. Samuel Bentley M.A. of St. Catharines College,
Cambridge, and rural dean of Frome, southern division. There is a Wesleyan chapel at
Stanley Hill. Bosbury House, the seat of Willoughby Baskerville Mynors esq. D.L.,
J.P. is a structure of red brick and stone in the Italian style, with balustrades
and a portico; it contains a fine collection of curiosities, ancient and modern.
Old Court, which is now a farm, was formerly a palace of the bishops of Hereford; the
refectory is used as a cider cellar; and the doorway and wicket are still perfect.
Temple Court, the residence of John Pitt Harford esq. was formerly occupied by the
Knights Templars. In the Crown Inn, formerly the mansion 0f the Harford family,
there is an ancient panelled room, with the date 1571 and the arms of different members
of the Harford family: over the fire-place are four shields with the arms of John Skipp,
bishop of Hereford 1539-53; and of William Paulet, first Marquess of Winchester K.G. who
died 1572, with the garter and coronet; Wrottesley, of Wrottesley; Scrope, of Castle Combe,
Wilts; and Fox of Brimfield; the room is now used as a lodge-room of the Bishop Swinfield Lodge
of Oddfellows (M.U.). The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of the whole
parish. Willoughby B. Mynors and John Harford Pitt esq. are the principal landowners.
The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. This is a cider and hop district. The chief crops
are wheat, beans, hops and barley. The area is 4,769 acres; rateable value,
£7,785 the population in 1881 was 989.
CATLEY township is half a mile north-west
UPLEADON township is 1 mile west-by-south.
Parish Clerk, Edwin Townsend.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank. Mrs
Sarah Kendrick, sub-postmistress. Letters are received through Ledbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched
thereto at 3.55 p.m. Ledbury is the nearest telegraph office.
WALL LETTER BOX, Stanley Hill, cleared at 11.25 a.m. daily except sun
Police Station, Robert McDonald, officer in charge
Free Grammar, built in 1540 for 60 boys; average attendance, 50; with a yearly endowment of £107;
Samuel Morgan, master
National (girls), built in 1848 & enlarged in 1883, for 100 girls; average attendance, 86;
Miss Mary Ann Arrowsmith, mistress
CARRIER: Ann Fidoe, to Worcester, sat & Ledbury tues.; returning same days